Updated for Patch 4.2
A Short and Complete Manual of Healing as a Discipline Priest
Not everyone dedicates the entirety of their Warcraft life to the incomparable experience of being a Discipline Priest.
I can’t explain it, but there it is.
Recently the difficulties associated with playing an alt- long-forgotten, rolled to fill some raid niche that evaporated, miraculously reaching the level cap by picking flowers- were brought home to me when I picked up my dusty mining druid and determined to shape him into a lean mean healin’ machine.
Things went badly. Okay, more than badly. I didn’t know what to spec, I had no idea what a healing rotation even looked like as a druid, and I was- to my shame- booted out of my first pug after two rounds of trash.
To my delight and pathetic gratitude I stumbled upon Tree Bark Jacket’s wonderful Resto Druid Cheat Sheet. Specs immediately become clear, spells made sense, and I stopped wearing cloth.
I asked Keeva of Tree Bark Jacket if I could steal her layout to similarly assist those 85 Disc Priests who needed similar help -the short, sweet version of How To Disc- and she graciously allowed me to lift whatever I could carry.
May this be of some use to you in your new- or continuing- journeys as a priest.
Godspeed, noble Discos!
The Discipline Priest Handbook
Sample Smite Spec, WowheadNon-Smite Spec:
Sample Non-Smite Spec, Wowhead
||Intellect >> Spirit >> Haste > Crit > Mastery
||Stack Spirit and then Haste (to @12.5%) at lower gear levels.Stack Crit and then Mastery at higher gear levels.
- All of the Non-Smite Spec information, plus…
- Smite a hostile target five times to proc Archangel
- Use Archangel to return mana and buff healing
- Apply Power Word: Shield and Prayer of Mending to the tank just before she pulls. Keep Shield up on the tank.
- Re-apply Prayer of Mending to the tank whenever it expires
- Optional: Apply PW:Shield to a DPS who is taking a lot of damage, or to yourself
*ProTip: When you get aggro, use your Fade ability.
- Small Heal: Renew (HoT)
- Medium, Fast Heal: Penance
- Large, Slow Heal: Greater Heal
- Group Heal: Prayer of Healing
*ProTip: Use Inner Focus every time it’s off cooldown before a Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing.
- Use Hymn of Hope and Shadowfiend to regen mana
- Primary: Glyph of Penance, Glyph of Power Word: Barrier, Glyph of Renew
- Major: Glyph of Mass Dispel, Glyph of Divine Accuracy, Glyph of Mass Dispel
- Minor: Glyph of Shadowfiend, Glyph of Fortitude, Glyph of Fading
- Primary: Glyph of Penance, Glyph of Power Word: Shield, Glyph of Power Word: Barrier
- Major: Glyph of Mass Dispel, Glyph of Dispel Magic
- Minor: Glyph of Shadowfiend, Glyph of Fortitude, Glyph of Shackle Undead
|Gems & Reforging
||When in doubt, gem for Intellect.Primary Gems:
- [Brilliant Inferno Ruby]
- Yellow = Critical, Haste, and Mastery gems
- [Smooth Amberjewel] Critical Strike
- [Quick Amberjewel] Haste
- [Fractured Amberjewel] Mastery
- [Sparkling Ocean Sapphire] Spirit
- [Zen Dream Emerald] Mastery + Spirit
- [Potent Ember Topaz] Int + Crit
- [Reckless Ember Topaz] Int + Haste
- [Artful Ember Topaz] Int + Mastery
- [Purified Demonseye] Int + Spirit
- [Flask of the Draconic Mind] +Int
- [Flask of Flowing Water] +Spirit
- [Fortune Cookie] or [Seafood Magnifique Feast]+Top Stat
- [Severed Sagefish Head] +Int
- [Delicious Sagefish Tail] +Spirit
- [Basilisk Liverdog] +Haste
- [Baked Rockfish] +Crit
- [Lavascale Minestrone] +Mastery
And don’t forget [Superior Mana Oil] for that little extra edge.
- Tailoring: +580 Intellect chance or +580 Spirit chance (cloak embroider)
- Jewelcrafting: +81 Intellect (3 red gems)
- Alchemy: +80 Intellect (mixology)
- Engineering: +80 Intellect (bracer enchants & tinkers)
- Enchanting: +80 Intellect (2 ring enchants)
- Blacksmithing: +80 Intellect (bracer & glove sockets)
- Inscription: +80 Intellect (shoulder inscription)
- Leatherworking: +30 Intellect (bracer enchants)
For theorycrafting, more in-depth discussion, and alternative ideas, visit the PlusHeal.com Priest Forum or the Elitist Jerks Discipline Priest Forum.